Huevos Rancheros; such a classic breakfast dish! Well, here is my twist on this favorite breakfast choice. Healthier in my opinion! I love tortillas, but I definitely can not eat them on the regular. Egg whites are a great substitution for this classic go-to breakfast!
I love this dish, especially during the week. It’s a great way to fuel up on veggies and protein first thing in the morning, or right after your daily workout! You can easily double this recipe to make two!
Start by heating olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add your egg whites and cook for a few minute before flipping. This is the base to your Huevos Rancheros breakfast!
In another skillet over medium heat, add a bit more olive oil to sauté veggies. Add cherry tomatoes and asparagus, add a pinch of salt and pepper and cook for a few minutes until golden brown. Add black beans to warm. Transfer the veggies to your egg whites.
Add just a little more olive oil to cook your egg. I like it fried and sunny side up! However, I sometimes will prepare it over easy, or even scrambled. Whatever you are feeling!!! Once the egg is cooked, lay it on top of the veggies.
Top the entire thing with sliced avocado, feta cheese, scallions, cilantro, a dollop of greek yogurt or sour cream and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper. Feel free to add hot sauce or salsa. Enjoy!
- ½ cup egg whites
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 4 asparagus sprigs, cut into 1 inch pieces
- ½ black beans
- 1 egg, fried
- ½ avocado, sliced
- ⅛ cup feta cheese
- 1 tbsp scallions, finely diced
- Handfull cilantro, roughly chopped
- Dollop of greek yogurt or sour cream
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- Sprinkle of cayenne pepper (optional)
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add egg whites. Cook for a few minutes and flip.
- In another medium skillet over medium heat, add 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Start by sautéing the cherry tomatoes and asparagus. Add a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for a few minutes until golden brown. Add black beans to warm slightly.
- Transfer the tomatoes, asparagus and black beans to your skillet with the egg whites.
- Add another tablespoon of olive oil to the pan and cook egg to your liking. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to the egg.
- Once the egg is cooked, transfer it to the skillet with the egg whites and veggies.
- Top with avocado, feta cheese, scallions and cilantro on top. Add a dollop of greek yogurt and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper.